SKYCITY celebrates Chinese New Year
SKYCITY Auckland’s Chinese New Year entertainment will begin early this year with night markets from 2 February and a special Chinese village popping up under the Sky Tower from 9 February.
Group Chief Operating Officer Michael Ahearne says Chinese New Year is one of SKYCITY’s biggest events of the year and is a great opportunity to recognise the Chinese community and celebrate Auckland’s rich diversity.
“SKYCITY’s Chinese New Year celebrations have continued to grow over the past 20 years to now be a highly anticipated and very busy and special time of the year for us. We see this as an important way to celebrate the diversity of Auckland and of our team here at SKYCITY, with many of our customers and staff of Chinese heritage,” says Mr Ahearne.
The new pop-up Chinese village will provide a backdrop to the spectacular family friendly entertainment on selected nights throughout the month. The SKYCITY Plaza will become the stage for lion dancers, dragon dancers, Chinese acrobatics, and calligraphy and balloon artists, in addition to contemporary entertainment.
On Chinese New Year Day, the God of Fortune will perform a SkyJump from the Sky Tower followed by the traditional ‘painting of the eye’ ceremony to bring good luck and lighting of firecrackers to ward off evil spirits.
SKYCITY’s Chinese restaurant Huami will be offering an authentic contemporary set menu, specially designed for Chinese New Year.
Chinese New Year comes at an exciting time for SKYCITY Auckland which has recently received official ‘China Ready’ accreditation. ‘China Ready’ accreditation is a global accreditation system acknowledging commitment to providing the best possible service for Chinese travellers. The accreditation is a world-first for an entertainment group business.
SKYCITY’s Chinese New Year highlights:
- From 5pm-10pm every Friday from 2 February – 2 March, a night market will feature a variety of stalls selling an assortment of delicious Asian food.
- From 9 February – 2 March, a pop-up Chinese village under the Sky Tower has been specially designed with Chinese-inspired gardens complete with a bridge and archways. The village will have panda cut-out photo walls for visitors to capture their Chinese New Year memories.
- From 7pm- 8pm every Friday and Saturday from 15 February – 2 March, free family friendly entertainment will take place in the Plaza underneath the Sky Tower featuring lion dancers, dragon dancers, a Chinese acrobatic show, and calligraphy and balloon artists mixed with contemporary entertainment.
- On Chinese New Year Day, 16 February, the God of Fortune will descend (by SkyJump) from the Sky Tower, followed by a traditional Eye Spot ceremony and firecrackers.
- From 15 February to 4 March (excluding 17 February when the Sky Tower will be lit for the Auckland Pride Parade) the Sky Tower will be lit in red and gold.
- From 15 February to 19 February, Huami will offer a special Chinese New Year set menu featuring traditional and contemporary dishes to celebrate.
- Lion dancers will be live within the SKYCITY main site at 8pm during Chinese New Year on 16, 17, 23, 24 February and 2 March (R20).